Tuesday, February 1, 2011

SNOW WARRIOR

I don't usually post works in progress, but I've posted so little the last little while. This is just a personal piece I'm doing in between assignments. I'm trying out different techniques.



Here is the underpainting that I've started with. I worked right overtop of a sketch that I scanned from my sketchbook.


Here I've added a colour layer overtop and done a quick colouring job. I'm not happy with these results and I am still working on the final piece which I will post in a couple of days when it's done.


As with most things like this where I'm deliberately trying to avoid falling back to my usual techniques it can be quite frustrating. But it's not the finished artwork that's important but the things you learn along the way.


I've been here and there. I've drawn a lot of pictures. I've written a bit, too. I'm not good at this self-promotion thing. Look, you want to know about me? just visit these websites. Okay?
www.mdjacksonart.weebly.com
http://mdjackson.deviantart.com
http://community.imaginefx.com/fxpose/mdjacksons%5Fportfolio

7 comments:

Paladin said...

It's cool to see how you progess from one step to the next. I'm anxious to see the finished piece.

Pat Tillett said...

What an amazing process. No wonder I suck so bad at it. It's too detail oriented for me...
Really good job! You sure do have some talent...

Kal said...

I love to see the design process too. Fascinates me every time. Buy tell me something. Does the finished product look the same from the image in your mind or does that image change and you are working on a particular piece?

M. D. Jackson said...

Kal, that is a great question. Whenever I have a really strong and precise image in my head I don't think I have ever managed to get it onto the page or screen with 100% success. I've gotten close on a few occasions but I always end up disappointed so it's on to the next one to try again.

On some pieces I have no idea when I begin what I'm going to end up with so it is always a surprise. Sometimes they're pleasent surprises. Those are the ones I post. Most of the time they are crap and they end up trashed or deleted. For every one successful drawing there are many failures.

M. D. Jackson said...

Pat; This process is different from my usual process. Usually my drawings are more defined. I will lay down a mid value colour and then go either darker or lighter in that value. This is the first time I've done the sepia underpainting step and I made several mistakes along the way. I'm hoping it will turn out.

M. D. Jackson said...

Kal; I should point out that the closest I have come to getting a picture from my head onto the screen was with your header, but I also kept on thinking of things to add to it while I was painting so it kind of grew and morphed along the way in a very satisfying way.

Kal said...

I love my header. It is action figure ready.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...