Wednesday, August 31, 2011

I WISH THAT I COULD SHAKE IT LIKE MY SISTER KATE



In the summer of 1979 and I was in Great Britain. Kate Bush's album THE KICK INSIDE had just been released and I couldn't go anywhere without hearing her on the radio, seeing her on television, or hearing her music on the streets of Brighton. I became a Kate Bush fan then. It seemed I had little choice. She was everywhere with her eerie lyrical vocals on WUTHERING HEIGHTS and her theatrical stage presence.

The iconic image of Kate for me is this one from the BABOOSHKA music video. What does the sword-weilding valkyrie she transforms into have to do with the song? Fuck all, as far as I can tell but she really rocks that look and, as you probably already know, images of women wielding swords is one of my great weaknesses.

I am still a big fan of Kate's and I am gratified that my daughter has also fallen under her spell. She carries Kate's discography around with her on her ipod.

But it is that first album that will always be my favourite as it always brings back such great memories for me.

Here are three videos from that album:











I've been here and there. I've drawn a lot of pictures. I've written a bit, too. I'm not good at this self-promotion thing. Look, you want to know about me? just visit these websites. Okay?
www.mdjacksonart.weebly.com
http://mdjackson.deviantart.com
http://community.imaginefx.com/fxpose/mdjacksons%5Fportfolio

2 comments:

Paladin said...

I can remember back the stone age of 1985, walking through what we cave people referred to as a "Record Store". They were playing Kate's "Hounds of Love" album over the sound system and I was hooked. So many great tracks from that record.

I stumbled upon Michael Hedges and William Ackerman in the same store. I think they turned the store into a dry cleaners or something eventually.

M. D. Jackson said...

I used to love record stores almost as much as book stores. That summer I picked up a lot of records (some vinyl but mostly cassette tapes -- I had to bring them back on the plane) that I had never seen or heard of before: ELO, Thin Lizzy and Gary Numan to name a few. That was also my first exposure to punk rock. Sid Vicious had just died in New York and there were punk rockers everywhere.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...