Monday, September 12, 2011

STAR TREK AT 45


So Thursday was the 45th anniversary of the debut of Star Trek. The first episode aired June 8th, 1966 on NBC. I was one year old and eight months at the time. So, seeing as how I am older than Star Trek, in honour of its birthday I will put it in a headlocks and give it a noogie until it cries uncle.

Seriously, I love Star Trek and I have for as long as I can remember. I feel I should take this opportunity too say a few words about something that has been with me all of my life.

I know this is going to sound like some kind of confessional at an AA meeting or something:

Hello. My name is Mike and I am a Trekkie.

I've been watching Star Trek for as long as I can remember. I got hooked because of the animated series, believe it or not (TAS as a gateway drug to TOS?). I watched the original STar Trek through faded and badly spliced film versions through the video versions, the restored and remastered versions with the new CGI effects.

I stood in line for all the movies, and was excited for all of them, especially the last one. I watched all the Star Trek series from The Next Generation all the way through to Enterprise (which I didn't really like until its final season when it got unceremoniously cancelled),

When I was a kid I collected all the James Blish novelizations, I read many of the Star Trek novels from Pcoket books, I collected the Star Trek blueprints, arts books, the "making of" books, calendars and photonovels. I have even watched many of the Star Trek fan films which range from excellent to gadawful. I have watched all of James Cawley's Star Trek Phase 2 videos that have been released so far and I am still looking forward to more. This is how much of a Star Trek junkie I am.

Star Trek has now gone back to the beginning (sort of) with JJ Abram's STAR TREK. I am hoping the sequels will at leas live up to if not surpass that film.


Star Trek and I have grown up together. We kind of are like brothers. Sometimes my brother is really cool and amazing and sometimes he's dorky and cheeseball and sometimes he is just plain bad. None of that matters. Just like a brother, I love Star Trek no matter what. I probably always will. I am never happier or more content then when I am watching Star Trek.

Through thick and thin, through smash hits and through complete duds, I am a trekkie and likely will be one until the day I die.




I've been here and there. I've drawn a lot of pictures. I've written a bit, too. I'm not good at this self-promotion thing. Look, you want to know about me? just visit these websites. Okay?
www.mdjacksonart.weebly.com
http://mdjackson.deviantart.com
http://community.imaginefx.com/fxpose/mdjacksons%5Fportfolio

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...