Friday, November 11, 2011

THE BIG RED ONE



It's Remembrance Day here in Canada, Veteran's Day in the U.S. and Armistice day in the U.K. I have nothing to say on the subject that hasn't been said by others and in a much more eloquent way then of which I am capable.


I do, however, have a movie recommendation. If you have the urge to watch a war movie on this day (some do. Go figure) try seeking out Samuel Fuller's THE BIG RED ONE. It stars Lee Marvin and a young Mark Hamill as World War II soldiers in the 1st Infantry Division. The title refers to the red patch that the division`s soldiers wear on their uniforms.


The film is exciting, sometimes funny and at times touching. The film doesn`t preach or hit you over the head with a MESSAGE, but it does say a lot about war and its dehumanizing nature. Ultimately, however, it is about the triumph of humanity despite war.


You can find the film on DVD or likely online somewhere. Here is the trailer:







I've been here and there. I've drawn a lot of pictures. I've written a bit, too. I'm not good at this self-promotion thing. Look, you want to know about me? just visit these websites. Okay?
www.mdjacksonart.weebly.com
http://mdjackson.deviantart.com
http://community.imaginefx.com/fxpose/mdjacksons%5Fportfolio

1 comment:

Lagomorph Rex said...

It is quite an underrated World War II film.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...