Monday, July 2, 2012

I'LL MISS YOU LIKE I'D MISS A SEVERED LIMB


I'll miss you like I'd miss a severed limb
amputated from my body by chance,
a misfortune brought on by fate's cruel whim
or careless words, perhaps a jealous glance.

Should you go I'd suffer pain and grief
no matter that the surgeon's skill be great
or recovery from the ordeal brief
still would I drown in pity and self hate

Though tended by nurses and wrapped in sterile sheets
with bandages clean and changed twice each day
your phantom memory stirs as my heart beats
it cannot hear, too late, these words I say

So let not separation take its toll
your loving presence keeps me hale and whole*

* So my daughter came to me about six months ago. "Dad," she said. "I have to study for a calculus exam, I have a quiz coming up in Japanese and I have an essay on the Potsdam Conference to write for Socials. I don't have time to write a sonnet for English. Can you write one for me?" At the time she intended to go into medical school (she has since switched to Archeology) so I thought a medical themed sonnet would be appropriate. Now that she has graduated I think I am safe in taking credit for this.

And I'm happy to report that this poem earned her an "A"



I've been here and there. I've drawn a lot of pictures. I've written a bit, too. I'm not good at this self-promotion thing. Look, you want to know about me? just visit these websites. Okay?
www.mdjacksonart.weebly.com
http://mdjackson.deviantart.com
http://community.imaginefx.com/fxpose/mdjacksons%5Fportfolio

2 comments:

Cal's Canadian Cave of Coolness said...

Oh that is sweet. Potdam Conference??? I could have written that one is a half hour. Do you know that Roosevelt and Truman exchanged shoes during an early morning breakfast meeting? True story.

It's nice to get an A for something isn't it.

M. D. Jackson said...

Getting the "A" was certainly better than years earlier getting my older daughter a failing grade for my interpretation of the symbolism in Orwell's Animal Farm. I wasn't allowed to help her with her homework again after that.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...