Friday, April 1, 2011

PAUL



I went and saw PAUL last night. What a great movie! It was MY movie with so many comic book and sf references, but not too much to get in the way of the story.

It was somewhat cliche but it was obviously a labour of love for Simon Peg's and Nick Frost. It was a love letter to the genre in the same way that their previous films, SHAWN OF THE DEAP and HOT FUZZ were love letters to those genres.



Every sf and comic book nerd has at one time, wanted to take a road trip to Roswell New Mexico. And what comic book/sf fan has not wanted to go to the San Diego Comic Con, the Mecca for sf nerds, to soak in the atmoshphere and to ogle the women dressed up as Slave Leia? These two do it and find an escaped alien along the way. In the same way that Spielberg's E.T. was a wish fulfillment for Spielberg's "inner child" Paul was a wish fulfillment for our "inner nerd.



I was really enjoying the film but the moment I fell in love with it was when the characters walk into a bar and the country and western group is playing the "Cantina Theme" from Star Wars.



I know it's been playing for a while, it might even be gone from many theaters (we saw it on its final night) but if you can catch it I recommend that you do.





I've been here and there. I've drawn a lot of pictures. I've written a bit, too. I'm not good at this self-promotion thing. Look, you want to know about me? just visit these websites. Okay?
www.mdjacksonart.weebly.com
http://mdjackson.deviantart.com
http://community.imaginefx.com/fxpose/mdjacksons%5Fportfolio

2 comments:

Capes on Film said...

Hey this is my first comment here. This flick sounds like a must see for comic and UFO geeks (like me) -and what a great cast. Will def check it out.

M. D. Jackson said...

Welcome Matthew K! It is a cool film. Simon and Nick made it just for guys like us.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...