Tuesday, September 8, 2009

PULP!

I do not have what you would call a prodigious pulp collection, but the ones that I do have I love dearly.

There is something about an old pulp magazine that I find irresistibly alluring. I keep them in plastic bags and try not to open them too often as it distresses and already distressed publication. There is something about the smell of the old pulp -- that musty, almost vinegary smell -- that heightens my sense of anticipation.

This one is one of my favourites. I’ve loved Doc Savage since discovering the Bantam paperbacks when I was thirteen. To find an original from 1938 was a real thrill and this is one of the ones that I possess that is in such good condition.

The artists for the interior and the cover are unidentified, although the interior illustrations are likely by Paul Orban. The cover artist may well be Walter Baumhofer, although I can’t be 100 percent certain.

If anyone knows for sure please let me know.














I've been here and there. I've drawn a lot of pictures. I've written a bit, too. I'm not good at this self-promotion thing. Look, you want to know about me? just visit these websites. Okay?
http://mdjackson.deviantart.com
http://community.imaginefx.com/fxpose/mdjacksons%5Fportfolio

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...