Sunday, January 8, 2012

DELLA DIXON



This was part of concept package I was preparing for a local sports bar. I'd heard through the grapevine they were looking for a new image so I prepared this character. Unfortunately before I could make my pitch they got bought out and became a biker bar, so this concept never got seen until now.


Although I also heard that the bar is for sale again so Della Dixon here may get another chance.


UPDATE: I heeded the very good comment by illustrator Erik Johnson and made some changes. I think I managed to bring a little more life to the face (at least I made her look a little happier to be at work!) and changed some colours. I also did some judicious erasing including getting rid of most of my obsessive shirt wrinkles. As always, less is more.




What do you think?


I've been here and there. I've drawn a lot of pictures. I've written a bit, too. I'm not good at this self-promotion thing. Look, you want to know about me? just visit these websites. Okay?
www.mdjacksonart.weebly.com
http://mdjackson.deviantart.com
http://community.imaginefx.com/fxpose/mdjacksons%5Fportfolio

4 comments:

Erik Johnson Illustrator said...

Well good for you for jumping on the opportunity horse. Developing a character is a great idea for design and branding.

My only concern is that she has no attitude about her. No smile, her pose is rather flat and she doesn't even have a name tag to help establish an identity.

I get that you did this quickly, but I'm concerned that once you get past the novelty of the size of her bust and her beer glass that you can't help but notice they "How long until my shift ends" face.

M. D. Jackson said...

Erik, you're quite right. I think that happened between the pencil stage and the inking. The original pencil seemed to have more life to it than this inked and coloured version. She does have that "when does my shift end" look.

That's something to keep in mind if I ever decide to pitch it again.

david_b said...

I actually think she's HOT.

Cal's Canadian Cave of Coolness said...

I would hit on her with my fumbling humor before I even sat down. Now THAT would put a smile on her face because she has been looking to romance a customer since getting the job.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...